Wednesday 11 March 2015

Book review - Fat Assassins, by Marita Fowler



Fat Assassins grabbed me by the scruff of the neck and didn't let go. As Shasta and Ulyssa, trailer trash divas, stumble their way from one disaster to the next, always dealing with something that just  happened by accident, compounding their unwise choices with every fresh bad decision, I laughed more times than I could count. It's a tremendously funny book and the pace is maintained throughout. A really fine piece of work from a natural comic, and I look forward to seeing more.

I will say a word about the language. Peppered through the book are many errors of grammar and spelling, particularly spelling, which in a less funny book would have put me off severely. The fact I have still awarded four stars is a tribute to Fowler's comic gift, but I would hope to see in future work that she had employed an editor, or at the very least, spellcheck. Had this been the case with Fat Assassins, I could have given the full five stars, and it made me rather sad not to be able to.

Fat Assassins is available from AMAZON.

No comments:

Post a Comment