Friday 11 March 2016

Book review - Yakshipuram, by Biju Vasudevan

 

This book was presented to me as a children's version of Kamayakshipuram, which I reviewed in January of this year. While that's a fair description, it doesn't, I feel, do complete justice to this fine piece of work, which seemed to me to be much tighter and more disciplined.

Lightened of Kamayakshipuram's erotic content, which did not really contribute anything to the plot or the purpose of the story, Vasudevan's delightfully Kafkaesque tale really shines. The gay abandon of the sordid temple devotees in their chaos evokes Josef K's assistants, in The Castle, in a really wonderful way, and the author's sparkling sense of fun wraps around the final message of deep spirituality in a way that is calculated to please all but the most cantankerous.

This author is not a native English speaker, and I do feel that the book would benefit from a very light polish by one who is; although his vocabulary and command of the language are superior to that of so many independent authors publishing today, correction of the few faults of language would allow this lovely piece of work to shine even more brightly.

I have watched this author's work emerge since his first book, and it is with great pleasure that I read and reviewed this one. I look forward to seeing what he will do next.

Yakshipuram is available from AMAZON in Kindle and paperback editions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment