Thursday 10 March 2016

Book review - Five Coffees, by Cathy Jackson




Five Coffees is a major departure from the author's more recent Bloom series, and I enjoyed it very, very much. I'm not quite sure whether to say it's her best work so far, because of my enduring affection for her earlier book, As You Wish, but it is a fine piece of Christian Fiction.

I was on the edge of my seat through much of the book. At times it seemed absolutely certain that the sad, widowed heroine and the gentle, decent hero were going to fall into adultery. No, I cried, no no no! They were in such danger and came so close. Seldom in a love story have I found such fearful suspense; it was terrifically exciting. Their struggle and eventual triumph was beautifully rendered.

One criticism I often have of writers of love stories is that they tend to go on too long, inserting spurious 'epilogue' chapters just to show that everyone lives happily ever after, or has a baby or something. Jackson deserves a medal for her discipline and restraint in ending Five Coffees just at the perfect moment, and this alone goes a long way to make the book the gem it is.

Five Coffees is available from AMAZON in Kindle and paperback editions.

1 comment: