Thursday 16 June 2016

Book review: Domechild, by Shiv Ramdas



The mysteriously intriguing opening of Domechild leads into a powerful exposition of the kind of society towards which we of the 21st century seem to be heading. I don't think I will ever view Facebook quite the same way again.

The book didn't quite sustain its early promise of humour; although it was exciting, and kept one turning the pages, it didn't really stay funny after the opening chapters, not to me, anyway. I had expected it to be a riot of laughter all the way through, based on what someone else had said, but, I hasten to add, this was not a promise held out either by the author or the publisher.

For me, Domechild's real strength lay in its portrayal of a dystopia projected upon features of our world as it now is; like Brave New World and Nineteen Eighty-Four, it offers a chilling glimpse into one possible future, and does this entertainingly.

I did have some reservations about the ending. The book seemed to me just to stop, without adequately resolving itself; whether this was done with the view to a sequel or not, it is a grave fault in a novel. All the same, well worth reading and I'll certainly look for more from this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment