Sunday 3 March 2013

Shame Files - 00001

Some years ago, when I was working at Bendigo Bank, a fellow staff member contacted me to ask for help in rehoming a dog. The description went something like this: Border Collie 6 years old, has been the constant companion of a 7 year old boy.

On enquiry I discovered that nothing had happened to the child, he was perfectly ok, and the reason the family was dumping their dog was that they were moving interstate. It was just not convenient to bother making arrangements to move the dog, so he became surplus to requirements.

I often used to wonder about that little boy. I wonder if he became terrified every time his parents were moving after that, wondering if he would be the next one to get dumped. Or if he became corrupted into the notion that you just get rid of anyone who is inconvenient. Either way the kid was going to be damaged goods. He'd be grown up now. I wouldn't mind betting he is either a commitment-phobe or already on his third marriage.

There's a cold place in hell for people like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment